Re: [RC] Having one's head examined - Sharon Levasseur

What's wrong with "Oops"?  I like it!  :-)

Congratulations,
-Sharon L.

Quoting agilbxr@xxxxxxx:

Ok, I need to have my head examined.  I have decided to buy a 4 month old
Paso Fino/Arab colt.  Just cause I like the mix, and I like the parents and
the price is right.  I need a horse like I need another hole in my head, but
here I am buying one.  He was an "oops"  when the neighbors Arab stallion got
over the fence to a friends Paso mare.  The mare is pure Puerto Rican, the
sire is supposed to have a nice pedigree, but was never registered.  (I'll
get that information so all the Arab folks out there can tell me what his
bloodlines are like on the Arab side!).  He should mature out at 14 or 14.1
hands and he is solid bay (NO WHITE!!!  I own a palomino and a leopard
app....do I have to tell you what no white means????  Woo Hoo).   We don't
know if he gaits yet, he only trots in the pasture, but I'll bet he will.
His momma is pretty strongly gaited.  He's got nice straight legs, a short
back, and seems to be pretty nicely tempered for a baby.  Of course, at the
moment his butt is about 6 inches taller than his front end, but that'
s typical baby...and it's really kind of cute!

I am bringing the little guy home on Saturday...can't wait.  I am now
researching feed and stuff like that.  I know how I like to feed my adults,
but have never raised a baby before.  I know about all the hay he can eat,
and as few concentrates as we can, but I still want to make sure I'm raising
him the right way.  So which concentrates...  Is it ok to feed him the 10%
protein, 10%  fat feed I give the big guys? Or do I need to get something
else.  I am feeding Seminole Perfect 10 to my old guys, and they do great on
it.  I've been talking to Spot and Alpine, and telling them that they are
going to learn how to pony, cause I think this baby is going to be out on the
trail long before he's ever ridden.  I'm also having very serious thoughts
about harnesses and driving....they can drive as young as two at a reasonable
pace...and without too much stress on their developing selves...we have nice
dirt/sand roads.

Anyway, I have annoyed the list long enough with my future endurance
horse...who doens't have a name yet.  (what do you name a bay half arab/half
paso...other than "oops" that is????)

Juli and the herd (of 3)
Alpine (yay....a new baby to play with.  I like babies.  And it means that
she won't ride me nearly as much)
Spot (I don't know if I'll like being replaced as the baby)
Unnamed Colt (???)