[RC] Rider food while on the trail - Susan Favro

Most people are so careful about what they feed their dogs, horses, etc. yet many times that same care isn’t taken when deciding what we feed ourselves. I recently saw this article and it gave me pause when I thought about the times I’ve just grabbed a snack that was quick and  convenient rather than one that was quick, convenient *and nutritious*.

STUDY: ADDITIVES STOP NERVE CELL GROWTH

Researchers at the University of Liverpool have found evidence that mixing the common additives aspartame (an artificial sweetener) and monosodium glutamate (MSG) causes nerve cell damage. The researchers found that when the additives were taken together, they interfered with nerve signaling systems and actually stopped the nerve cells from growing in mice. The mice were exposed to concentrations of MSG and aspartame relative to what a child would receive in an average snack and drink. Aspartame is commonly found in diet drinks, candies and flavored medicines, while MSG is frequently found in chips, processed cheese and many processed foods. The results of the two-year study were published in the journal Toxicological Sciences.

Granted, a mouse has a lot smaller body mass than a child but these types of studies keep stressing one message: our Western, fast-food, grab-and-go diet is not good fuel for our bodies.

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for the conscientious horse owner”
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx