Re: [RC] Pony saddles - rides2far

, but I > am wondering for those of you with kids on horseback, does the

conventional cheap pony saddle work in 10-15 mile (training) rides?
Does the smaller weight make saddle fit less of a problem?  And has
anyone use a breast collar on a small saddle?  My son's cheap saddle
fits his 11 hand pony fairly well, but it only has the front girth
and it tends to slip 3-4 inches off center,

You don't mention how old or how tall  your son is. I used to buy
ponies...enough to keep all the neighborhood kids riding with mine. We
struggled a lot with making saddles usable. The big problem with pony
saddles is that they are perfectly scaled down adult saddles...but kids
are NOT perfectly scaled down adults! Children have short legs, compared
to their torsos and head size. As an artist, we're taught that an adult
is 7 heads tall, but a kid is about 5. When a kid's butt fits that 12"
pony saddle, he can't reach the stirrups. By the time the stirrup
leathers are right, the seat's too small. If you took off the fenders you
could adjust the stirrups right for a tiny kid, but then there's a safety
problem. The little tapaderos they put on dont' give them room to put
more than the end of their toe in the stirrup, but if you take them off
they could get dragged. I'd love for *somebody* out there to invent a
proper saddle for a 7 to 10 year old!

If I had a small child I might just take off the western leathers and
hang English. English safety stirrups would solve the stirrup problem. We
tried putting a 12" pony saddle on our horse and the saddle fit was
AWFUL. If the kid's 10 or so and hanging over the back of the saddle it
really digs in back there. I ended up getting my daughter an English
saddle to ride her 44" pony with, then when she started riding the 13
hand one we just put the Ortho-Flex on him. Like you, it was for short
rides and since it was an Express we could shorten the stirrups enough.
We had more need for cruppers than breast collars with the ponies since
they tended to have round barrels. On the English saddle you could just
put a big nail crosswise underneath and attach to it. On the western you
could have a ring attached. If that saddle's turning the pony may just be
round with no withers. Sounds like a good pony for riding
bareback...always my first choice with ponies. :-)

Angie