[RC] Dear Newbie/LDer - Cindy Collins

I am truly sorry that some of you are offended by this conversation.
However, it is a very important one.  The problem is that we are having a
philosophical discussion about the direction and about the rules and
regulations governing our sport.  You are taking it to mean that we are
somehow "putting you down."  That, at least in my case, is not the intent.
I started endurance riding in 1980 (yes, I know many of you weren't born
then).  I rode in two 25 mile rides on my 4 year old Arab gelding.  I rode
WAY too fast, though I was lucky and didn't hurt my horse and I did have a
blast.  However, I did not believe I was doing "endurance" until I rode in
my first 50 miler.  My next ride was the Big Horn 50 in Shell, WY.  It
took me the entire 12 hours and I learned more about myself and my horse
in those twelve hours than I'd imagined possible.  I was completely
humbled, AND I needed to be.  Since then, I've completed 8,000 miles of
endurance rides including 19 one day 100 milers.  Philosophically, I
believe in starting my new horses out in 50s or higher.  I have started
horses in one day 100 milers and been very successful with that
philosophy.  I think it's better for their minds, but I don't care if
others want to start out in LDs.  I do care that 25 miles is not called
endurance.  I don't want my miles blended.  I don't want to see folks
racing 4 year old horses (just like I did when I was too ignorant to know
better) in sub 2 hour 25 milers.  I would like to see best condition be
the award every LD rider covets and I'd like to see finishers listed
alphabetically.  There is a reason for this.  Yes, I, too, train in
dressage.  However, frankly, I do not say I'm a dressage rider even though
I take weekly lessons in the winter and occasionally enter a training
show.  I certainly would not call myself a grand prix rider or an eventer,
though I've gone over cavaletti and 18" jumps outdoors.  Definitions do
matter.  I believe that I have always mentored new riders and have
encouraged every new rider I've ever met at an endurance ride, no matter
what breed of horse they were on or what distance they rode.  However,
this discussion is vital to the future of the sport and I will not lie
about my beliefs to save someone's feelings.  Especially since it is not
meant to be insulting, but defining.  And, yes, I do believe that any
sound horse with minimal conditioning and reasonable weight can go 25
miles at a moderate pace, but not just any horse can do a 50 miler.  I
believe the definitions of endurance are set as they are for a valid
reason.  I am embarrassed that some of you have been treated poorly at
rides...there is no excuse for bad manners in any venue.  I am sincerely
sorry if I've ever been the culprit, unknowingly.  It was not intended.
Thanks for trying to understand what's at stake here.  It's not just about
you, or me.  Cindy, AERC #176