RE: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] When to move up to 50's - hope lundquist

Hi Kari: You sure do not ever have to move up to any other distance if you don't feel or want to.

Those who are trying to stampede others to do so will eventually see Members not renewing their Memberships.

From: Kari Hanes <khanes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AERCMembersForum] When to move up to 50's
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:13:34 -0500

I am cross posting this to 2 lists so sorry if it's a double take for
some of you...

All this talk about LDs and BCs has me thinking about my situation with
my part-arab mare. She has been doing relatively well at LD the last
couple years. I started training her at five but didn't enter her in her
first LD until 6 yrs old, she's going to be 10 this summer. My thoughts
are I shouldn't move her up to a 50 until her vet scores are more
consistant. A few folks have told me to just go for it - she's ready,
but my gut tells me to take it slow and not borrow trouble. I'm not
worried about BCs because I dont weigh enough to be in contention for
them. We can turn good times and decent vet scores but always loose BC
by weight. My mare is getting very consistant with her miles but her vet
scores can be all over the place, not bad - but not perfect. Gut sounds
are always a concern, usually all As until the end then Bs. Do I strive
for that perfect (or nearly perfect) vet card before I move up or keep
doing what feels right for this particular mare? How do most of you
determine when you go from LD to 50? I have done a couple multi day LDs
and she's a pretty tired girl for a few days after.

I also have some ankle-knee-hip problems on my right side and am a
little concerned that a fifty will do me in. An LD usually takes about
all I got and I have a hard time getting around for a few days after.
But I think with the right horse under me I can tough out a 50.

Please don't flame me for staying at an LD level for three years - I
feel I've had some issues that just didn't encourage a move to 50s right
away. I do have a 5 year old purebred I'm starting this spring who just
may be a 50 mile horse in a few years - when he's ready.

TIA
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians

Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Sport fishing
Sport fishing boat Equestrian gift Equestrian

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=