Re: [RC] LD - Diane Trefethen

We all know and hate that this damn subject keeps resurfacing. With all the logic, with all the rhetoric, each camp comes to the fray with a certain mindset that totally precludes their being able to REALLY appreciate the other side's point of view. Consequently, each side has become entrenched and refuses to acknowledge valid points made by the other for fear that by taking a step towards the middle, like in an old fashioned tug-of-war, they will be yanked off their feet completely and lose the battle. Losing the battle will mean that their noble ideals, their vision of fairness and compassion, will lose too. So each time we argue about LD placings and BC, we fail to find a solution. The fight has become one of who is right. That there is right, and wrong, on both sides is ignored, with both camps turning a blind eye towards every reasonable argument against their cause.

Each time we argue about LD, we steal a little more soul from ourselves. Some of us try to be logical and thoughtful but in the end, even the rational minds among us give up. Some quit in disgust, some resort to taunting the opposition to pick up their marbles and go home, and some attack others as unfair, egotistical, selfish. So we all lose... a little bit... till next time... when we lose a little more.

This issue will never be resolved until BOTH camps let go of their prejudices so that they can discuss what is known, what is believed, what is feared, and come to a working compromise, even if only on a limited-time, trial basis.

Limited Distance Rides have evolved to become a sport in their own right. Endurance riders must grasp this fact, fully and faithfully before they can ever discuss this issue with impartiality and fairness. They must come to see that even though LD started as a training venue, a place to try distance riding albeit not do "real Endurance", it has evolved to embrace a very dedicated group of people who view THEIR sport as being just as worthy as the longer rides.

4 yr olds participate in LD. Some are ridden fast. Overriding young horses is damaging. Our history as an organization should cause us to shun activities that allow, never mind encourage, the racing of young horses. Old horses and riders participate in LD. They deserve to enjoy the same opportunities and have access to the same rewards as younger individuals. As long as Limited Distance riders refuse to acknowledge these truths, keeping in front of them only the Holy Grails of racing, competition, acknowledgment of personal effort, they too will remain unable to think impartially or "outside the box" and discover new solutions.

One extreme would be to throw open LD to all, full-blown racing, knowing that some horses will come to a ride or two and either suffer irreparable long-term damage or breakdown or die and accept that as the price to be paid. At the other end of the spectrum, go back to LD with no racing, no awards, no placements, no BC's. I cannot believe that with all our intelligence, all our compassion, for humans and equines alike, that we cannot all acknowledge the faults and flaws in both extremes, the rewards and valid goals in both extremes, and do better than sit in our respective camps, simmering with resentment, coming out every few months to hurl invective and insult at one another.