RE: [RC] Practical Side of LD Issue - Steph Teeter

As a ride manager, I love the LD riders. The ones that race, the new faces, the old faces. I like seeing how exciting it is for any distance rider to win the BC award. It is difficult to incorporate LD into the multiday format because of the need for extra vetchecks and having riders return to camp at 25 miles, while the 50's are still out on the long loop - but I make it happen because it's good business (helps pay the bills) and because I really like this group of competitors, trail riders, whatever. I rarely see LD horses in trouble, but have seen a few 50 and 100 miler horses with problems. We recognize placements and we award LD BC. It's difficult for me to understand the problems and objections to recognizing timed finishes and BC awards that some of you have.

Maybe there is another class of entries in some regions - 'yahoo idiot riders' - that we simply don't have in the NW. And part of our 'success' in the NW is likely due to the strength of our regional organizaton -PNER- where most of the educatin' goes on. There's a strong network of help and support, and new riders are generally welcomed and introduced to the sport by more experienced riders. Folks learn a lot by watching their peers - as well as being watched by their peers. Since the SW also has a strong regional organization (SERA) and they also seem to have few problems (e.g. with LD riders), I'm guessing that the regional organizations play a very important role in this sport.

Steph