in excellent condition, finishing FAST... fast enough to be in the Top Ten.

Diane, I'll clarify and add "AERC" so that it reads "AERC LD BC."  And
I'll stand by my premises.

#1--Despite the fact that many other regions have been doing this for
upwards of TWO DECADES, there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that AERC LD BC
influences people to race!  NONE!

#2--TEN HORSES will be the first ten across the line, WHETHER YOU AWARD
PLACINGS OR NOT.

#3--It is those faster horses that SHOULD have additional input and
attention from the vets, in order to either educate their riders to
SLOW DOWN, or to educate their riders to the fact that they are ready
to move up.  AERC BC provideds that format.

Picking up on Bruce's comments about Dr Bennett's EN article, it seems to me
that
totally without meaning to, Dr Bennett has given Dr Ribley's position on LD
BCs a
tremendous endorsement.  Although changing the minimum equine age for riding
in LD to
5 yrs old would mitigate her comments somewhat, as things stand today, Dr
Bennett's
research clearly shows that riding 4 yr olds at speed is not in their best
interest.
  It is noteworthy that no one here on Ridecamp has said that Dr Bennett is a
jerk
and OF COURSE 4 yr olds are mature enough to race.  Almost every post I have
read has
embraced her conclusions.  "This 'discussion' keeps going round and round in
circles--and it's high time that the W region came around to see how well
this works
in pretty much the whole rest of the country."  If one accepts Dr Bennett's
views,
then it will be "pretty much the whole rest of the country" who will have to
come
around to see that providing a racing venue for young equines has been a
mistake.

On the contrary Deb's comments underscore the need to look even more
closely at those horses that ARE being ridden "in the front of the
pack" on LD rides.  And the AERC BC format provides that opportunity
for additional veterinary input to the riders of those horses.

As for the "young" part of it, what evidence do you have to support the
idea that the Top Ten horses at an LD are younger than on 50s?  I don't
think ANY of us have that information, and in my experience, folks by
and large are not "racing" 4-year-olds anyway. It seems to me that the
"demography" of horses in the LD top tens is pretty similar to that on
the 50s.  It is the green RIDERS riding the mature horses they already
have, for the most part, and it is those RIDERS who need our input.
The green HORSES that I've seen in the Top Ten have by and large been
there "by accident"--ie experienced riders starting horses off have
ridden their own conservative mid-pack rides, and either the field was
small that day, and/or there weren't any hotshoes there.  (Usually the
latter.)  Heck, I've top tenned LDs that way myself, with absolutely no
clue I was in the Top Ten, riding a pace slower than I'd ride a 50 on
the same course.  Gee, my hubby even WON a 30-miler once--on the first
out on a new horse--with a ride time of 5 hours and something.  Gee, he
was rilly racin' wasn't he...

For the record, I have no problem at all raising the age limit to 60
months all the way across the board.  If you want to address the issue
of young horses, get behind THAT proposal.  But don't try to foist that
argument off on LD BC--"that dog don't hunt."

Heidi