Re: [RC] LD BC - Diane Trefethen

"...the folks who are fighting so hard to NOT award LD BC are really missing
out..."
 Please stop saying that those who share Dr Ribley's views are against awarding
a BC
to LD equines.  IT ISN'T TRUE.  What many of us are against is considering only
the
Top Ten in LD since, prima facie, one must have ridden faster than everyone
finishing
11th or further back.  Some, including me, are not even against using ride time
in
the computations.  What we are against, what we are opponents of, is requiring
first
and foremost, above being a good steward of your horse, above finishing with a
horse
in excellent condition, finishing FAST... fast enough to be in the Top Ten.

Picking up on Bruce's comments about Dr Bennett's EN article, it seems to me
that
totally without meaning to, Dr Bennett has given Dr Ribley's position on LD BCs
tremendous endorsement.  Although changing the minimum equine age for riding in
LD to
5 yrs old would mitigate her comments somewhat, as things stand today, Dr
Bennett's
research clearly shows that riding 4 yr olds at speed is not in their best
interest.
 It is noteworthy that no one here on Ridecamp has said that Dr Bennett is a
jerk
and OF COURSE 4 yr olds are mature enough to race.  Almost every post I have
read has
embraced her conclusions.  "This 'discussion' keeps going round and round in
circles--and it's high time that the W region came around to see how well this
works
in pretty much the whole rest of the country."  If one accepts Dr Bennett's
views,
then it will be "pretty much the whole rest of the country" who will have to
come
around to see that providing a racing venue for young equines has been a
mistake.