RE: [RC] BC - heidi

The problem we see with LD BC judging is if it's based on top ten, racing is
involved (and AERC tries to discourage this).  If it's based on judgment of
all horses entered, in the W region at least, sometimes there are 50+ horses
entered in LD and judging that many horses is too time-consuming for the
vets.  This is probably why many W region ride managers don't offer LD BC.
It's not a prejudice issue but a practical one.

Barbara, I love you, but THIS is the part that is the hay that has
passed through the male bovine's digestive system.

Those of us who have done LD BCs in our regions for literally 2 decades
(before AERC called it LD) have shown time and time again that our LD
riders still travel MORE SLOWLY than the 50-mile riders.  And that our
LD riders don't go any faster if there is LD involved.  If ANYTHING,
Barbara, it might actually slow down the occasional hot shoe because it
is more prestigious to win BC than to win first place.  By and large,
most LD riders that end up  in the Top Ten are surprised when told
that.

And I'll say it again--it is the BEST educational tool I've ever found
for helping those LD riders who DO go a bit faster to either see that
they are going TOO fast, or to see that they really ARE ready to move
up.

Sadly, your W region vets don't seem to understand this--they should be
jumping up and down to have it included.

This "discussion" keeps going round and round in circles--and it's high
time that the W region came around to see how well this works in pretty
much the whole rest of the country.

Heidi