[RC] LD Rides - RSacks - DVeritas

"AERC rules and regulations provide minimum conditions and directives for managing and competing  in AERC sanctioned endurance rides.  Additional measures may be taken by any ride to provide greater safety for equine and rider.  However, except in the event of emergency, these additional measures must be explained to the competitors and made available to them in written form at a pre-ride meeting."

In the above excerpted portion of the AERC Rules and Regulations, it seems some latitude is given RM's managers to provide or not provide this or that under the umbrella of "greater safety for equine and rider".
    If a ride manager does not want to offer an LD BC, it seems that the above portion of the rules and regulations might, in fact, give them that latitude should they feel that LD horses should not be raced.  Same holds true for placings and awards based on same, if a particular Ride Manager feels the LD's they put on should be "preparatory" in nature for Endurance Rides...and those views should be in writing before the ride.
    Those decisions seem congruent with the rules, albeit a bit ambiguous when viewed from the perspective of participants in LD rides.
    Seems to me that your AERC Director should be the one promoting your views, and, if in the majority, perhaps your views would become amendments to the rules and regulations.  Short of that...
     I have my own views on the matter, but if strictly using AERC guidelines, I could see the fertile ground for growing confusion by the above.
     There are those who know, because they were "there" when the rules were written...I wasn't.   Perhaps they'd chime in here.

Frank