Re: [RC] LD rides - Joe Long

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:32:40 -0800, "Richard Sacks" <rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

... You can read them any way you like but I think
they are pretty clear and straight forward.

You can read them any way you like, but the AERC and RMs act according to what
they actually say.  Diane's post clarified them for you, correctly IMO.

If they are not rules why are they listed as rules? Yes I believe they are
violations of the rules. I also feel there should be consistency for all
rides
in each region. Not some ride managers posting completion times and some
not. Also not some ride managers posting the completions in alphabetical
order and some posting in completion order.

Those options are allowed under current AERC rules.  If you don't want RMs to
have those options, ask your Directors to change the rules, don't try to claim
the rules don't mean what they say.

The minute they are posted in order of completion a placing is created
and the AERC rules or definitions apply.

The AERC rules and definitions apply either way.  There is no violation here.

This fiasco happened at the Desert Gold Ride for sure. The web site for the
ride stated "There will also be awards available for overall best condition
for both the endurance and the LD rides."

Are you saying they did not have a BC for the LD ride, or that they did not have
an AERC BC for the LD ride?  Those are two different situations.

If you intend to give out a BC award then you have to provide completion
times.

No, you don't.  If the RM awards a BC under the AERC system, they must use
riding times to calculate BC scores, but are still not obligated to report them
on the ride results.

This didn't happen at this ride and the ride manager indicated at the ride
meeting
that he was going to change the way he reported results for the LD ride
because
he didn't want to promote racing and felt strongly about it and it was time to
make a statement. Too late for those who might have wanted to withdraw and
get their money back. ...

If the RM decided to not do someting he promised to do on his website, he should
have offered a refund.  As long as he had a BC award available for the LD ride
(even if it was not awarded using the AERC system), it looks like he met his
obligations.

One LD will not make an endurance horse or rider. But the people who desire
to  do LD rides only should be treated with the same respect as any other
person
who shows up at a endurance ride. If the ride managers and other endurance
riders can't do it, they shouldn't offer LD rides and the LD riders will find
other
venues to satisfy their needs. In the long run it is our loss because we will
loose
the riders who will some day try longer rides. Take away your breeding ground
and your species becomes extinct

You haven't demonstrated any lack of respect for LD rides or riders at this
event.  Just that they didn't do things the way you wanted them to.

The very first-ever distance ride I entered, a 25-mile ride in Tennessee in 1978
(they were called "Novice Rides" back then), I was dissappointed when the awards
were handed out alphabetically, without any indication of placing on them.  They
were all identical.  Once I found out the reasons for it, I didn't have a
problem with it.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx