Re: [RC] shavings vs rice hulls - MtnRondi

In a message dated 2/7/2006 10:31:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, indiancp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
it's saw dust pressed into small pellets.
you're supposed to wet them down which turns them to sawdust but i use them
as is.

This sounds just like pellet stove fuel. We burn them in our fireplace insert. A 40 lb. bag costs us around $4.50 to $5.00. They are pine. I am sure they are cheaper in other areas but we live in the mountains and everything costs more because of the freight. It also comes bagged as "Exquisicat" cat litter, sold at PetSmart. But that is around $7.00 or $8.00 a bag.

I use the stove pellets also in the litter box for young puppies. When it gets wet it does turn to sawdust but it has no odor and is very clean.

I am sure you can save some money if you buy the pellets bagged for burning. As soon as they bag them for stalls and other things, the price goes up.