Re: [RC] Endurance or no? - Truman Prevatt

Dbeverly4@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 2/6/2006 12:11:56 PM Pacific Standard Time, tawasentha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    We were at a ride with a new Vet and of course rain was somewhat
    of a comic and as we were walking up to get a pre Vet check she
    would put her head down and suck in her tummy and that would make
    her hip bones stick really out so she really at this point looked
    like a reject from the glue factory.

Absolutely no offense intended, but horses don't have this kind of sense of humor. They simply are incapable of it. Sounds like the horse was too thin....fit but too thin. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but I didn't want to let this one pass because there are a lot of newbies who read this list and trust me, your horse won't suck it up to make you look bad in front of a vet. Your horse is just plain too thin if that happens. I'd way rather see a chubby horse than a skinny one no matter where they finish in the pack...so long as they finish :)
Sylvia

I think a lot of it depends on the horse. Granted horses are not going to make you look bad for the vet just to make you look bad and go back and get a chuckle with their buddies. However, some horses do tend to tuck up more than others. It doesn't necessary mean they are too skinny or are not eating and drinking enough on a ride or being over ridden - they just tend to tuck up.

My old mare came in at 95 miles on a 100 one time. She was tucked up. She had been eating everything in sight that day drinking like a fish all the ride. However, she was tucked - looked like a lean and mean TB itching for a run.

The vet took a look at her and he didn't like what he saw. He hadn't seen the horse before - she would pretty much always tuck up during a ride. He took her pulse and off we go. She drug me down 125 feet and drug me back 125 feet and was bouncing around like a pogo stick on the trot out. Her hydration was great her guts were rocking and rolling and her CRI was 52/44. He shook his head, slapped her on the buft and told me it's getting cold (an understatement) to get some blankets on her and ride her in fast enough to keep her warm the last 5 miles since she "has plenty left."

So looks can be deceiving. If the Jbird ever tucked up like she did - I would worry.

Truman

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein