Re: [RC] Endurance or no? - rides2far

*raises hand slowly*  I've occasionally been shocked at the "bags of
bones" that
I've seen ride pictures of, and seen in person at rides.

It used to be in style to ride skinny horses. People thought they needed
to be thin to be good endurance horses. For the most part, that time's
past. I very seldom see a ribby horse at a ride. I've got a photocopy of
an old article written by Kerry RIdgway that was putting forth the
controversial suggestion that horses shouldn't be thin. There's a photo
of a mare in it that looks like something off a rescue site but the
caption said something like, "This mare won a 50 the week before but may
not have the reserves to run again this week".

Back at my first ride I remember one of the "local stars" confided that
she always kept a sheet over her horse when she got to a ride so other
riders wouldn't know how "fit" he was. All that time I'd thought she was
doing it so nobody would call the Human Society!

I have one ribby horse in the field right now. This is kind of a first
for me, I'm keeping him for a friend. He's eating more feed than the
others, has had his teeth done, getting oil, probiotics and alfalfa plus
free choice coastal...then he has the *nerve* to stand around where the
neighbors can see him and look as if he's not getting fed! He's a fun
ride but I cringe at the idea of taking him to a ride and people looking
at him wondering why I don't feed him.  Take a look at the horse's
expression & eye before you judge too harshly. An overtrained, over
ridden horse will look dull.

Angie (getting ready to try the Panacur Purge on ol' Bones)