Re: [RC] New question for all-coming back from the dead - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]   New question for all-coming back from the dead
Micki,

Great topic for the Day of Resolutions!

Depending on what your owie was, you can hopefully get into shape aerobically and wrt specific muscle groups that you use for riding by slowly increasing your fitness activities. Some things to remember are:
  • If you’re over 40, get a blood pressure measurement before you start a fitness program. If it’s high, see a sports medicine professional wrt an exercise prescription and possible treadmill testing.
  • Aerobic activity is that which you can do without getting out of breath. When you start to breathe hard or pant, you are going anaerobic. It’s good to do “anaerobic threshold” exercises if your blood pressure is OK.
  • There is significant aerobic cross over from anaerobic (strength) activities. So if you’re stacking bales of hay or lifting 50# bags of feed, you’re already in at least moderately good shape
  • There is some benefit to cross-training, but to use muscle groups, you have to train those muscle groups, esp the ones used for posting.
  • Go slowly, with realistic expectations. Fitness doesn’t proceed in a straight line. You backslide. You plateau. You go make small gains. You mourn your shape of 2 years ago like a dead pet.

PM me if you want to talk more specifically about your situation.

Beverley

Beverley Kane, MD
Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy
Woodside, CA
http://www.horsensei.com

See Stanford Medical School "Medicine & Horses" on NBC-TV
http://www.horsensei.com/nbcnews.html