[RC] western saddles - Dawn Simas

Laney's comments about western saddles got me thinking...  Does anyone out there compete in one?

I've always ridden Aussie.  Rode in a Syd Hill for 20 years, but it didn't fit my new (4 years ago) Paint.  So I had a new endurance style Aussie made for him, which is what I've used since.  It's just like most endurance saddles, but with Poleys.  It rigs western, has panels like western instead of flocking like english (traditional Aussie stock saddle), had western fenders...  As I look around, many "endurance saddles" look just like it.

Then recently, I tried a McCall Lady Wade western saddle and it's wonderful.  Tried it for several miles and several rides and bought it.  I ride more balanced in it.  It only weighs 27 lbs, maybe 32 after I put my packs and water on it.  I needed a 2nd saddle for a 2nd horse, but I'm considering using it primarily now.

It has a low set horn, in skirt rigging, nice channel down the spine, round skirting but enough to dispurse the weight well.  The slick fork deep seat is secure but doesn't get me stuck or get in my way.  The mohair roper cinch covers more skin, so isn't prone to gall or slip.  The tree is flared in front to free up the shoulders well.  My paint moves out better than he ever did.  And as far as weight, other than the inconvenience of my lifting it on and off my 16h mare, I figure saddle weights don't vary nearly as much as the rider's weights.  Heck, I'll buy this saddle that weighs 5 more lbs and that will be encouragement for me to lose that 5 lbs on myself that comes and goes.  :)  Actually, it weighs the same as my aussie and the same as the Reactor Panel english saddles I was trying.

So I am wondering:

What is the downside to competing in this saddle?  ...Look for my buckskin paint horse in this western saddle on American River 70 in April...  ;-)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue