[RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race - Suzanne Avery DVM

I have joined this list a few days back to get some information on endurance riding. I must say I have had to chuckle on a few of the comments made. This list seems to put out some good information.

I do not really consider myself an endurance rider although I did enter a 50 mile endurance race many years back and have entered our yearly"local"  CTR. Mostly we do the sport of combined driving and just ride for fun. Combined driving is a fun sport and another alternative for those that have physical impairments like RA, Lupus or just getting up there in age. So you probably ask why in the @#$@ is this gal joining our list. Well I have always loved riding long distances and as a young girl with my first horse I rode from sun up to sun set every day. Recently several people have emailed me about the Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race. I also saw the advertisement on RFD TV. Since then I have pondered and pondered about this race and finally decided come September, I will be "saddling" up for the "great adventure" an adventure of a lifetime. I am so excited about this race but also need some expert advise on what to wear and how to prepare.

To start here is my first question. I am not a breecher/tight person. On the 50 mile endurance ride I rode in jeans but that was many years ago. My legs were killing me to say the least. Someone suggested I wear nylons under my jeans. This was a great suggestion. So far nylons worked fine for the CTRs I attend or any lengthy rides I go on. No more chafing or sore knees. But I am not sure I will still be intact and be able to walk at the end of the Santa Fe ride. Well if I make that far, no doubt I will probably lots of holes in my nylons.
Reading about things like the Tevis ride, I know you guys are all pretty much professionals but are there any nonprofessional jean type folks out there and what do you ride in? I may have to buy a pair of tights but they are so...well.. you know "tight" :o((  I do not have the body for tights. I am also looking into riding jeans. Has anyone ever used those? Are they just like breechers only in jean material?

For the ride I will be using my western saddle. My husband said I should look into an endurance saddle but my western saddle is so comfortable, even on the long CTR rides.  I purchased the saddle many years ago and it really is part of me. I may consider another saddle but right now I will try my western. Has anyone ever ridden any endurance rides in western saddles. I realize they are heavier then endurance saddles. I did use an english saddle when I rode the 50 mile endurance ride.

Lastly my plan is to ride one horse and bring one or two spares. The horse I am riding, Willie, is pseudo-conditioned as he has been routinely used for Combined Driving Events, CTR, pleasure riding and as a ranch horse. He has a lot of heart, speedy trot and is not a "tubbet". He has a lean type build as opposed to round build. He does pant. I have been riding him 2-4 miles and trying to do this at least every other day. The 2-4 miles consist of uphill/downhill. We walk downhill and trot uphill. We did a 14 mile ride the other day, lets of walking. He has a "power walk" so I think his walk is conditioning in itself. I sometimes hitch him to the cart and do a 10 mile loop with lots of trotting. The cart really seems to condition him also. We sometimes canter but I really like to condition him at a trot. His extension at the trot carries great speed, I feel that is all I need. As time goes on we will build on mileage. He is kept in a large pasture with lots of ravines/up/downhills so he does get daily self exercise.

To condition the "spares", I have been ponying them and also riding them. They are not as conditioned as Willie but I really hope to keep them in the "spare" category but someone greater then me may have another plan.

To condition myself I am walking, running and doing pushup/setups. I also need to loose weight/dieting; especially if I have to enter the world of "tights" :o((
My plan for the Santa Fe ride is to ride about 10 miles and then get off and run with the horse maybe one mile or so.

I appreciate all suggestions and information you can give me.........I know, I know you are all shaking your heads at the thought of a western saddle and jeans........yup, this gal needs h-e-l-p.

Suzanne; who loves the thrill of a "great adventure"