Fw: [RC] Training to 'top ten' - Steven Proe

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Steven Proe <trails_first@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Shannon Chastain <wagaman@xxxxxxxx>; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 12:16:12 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Training to 'top ten'

Hi Shannon/rc, It has been my experiences that the ability to allow your mount to do anything up or down or on the flats, ect. is based on your knowledge and experience of the terrain.

For downhills training I have had the good luck to have a horse that was excellent in his abality to go down some hills very fast if needed to win or top ten.

I started out on my normal training rides initially walking down the hills and placing my body weight
towards the rear of the mount even when walking down the hills.

I have also used a straight down the hill approach and a s- turn tract so that all possible muscle groups are involved and are strengthened and the mount is used to these changes in it's and you balance changes.

Needless to say homework and the willingness of the mount to move out downhill will improve with this type of training. It does not happen overnight, but if you do not do this type of training as others have stated do not attempt to be sucked in my any rider that more advanced in the training and terrain of that particular ride.

You must have control at all times, as you are the protector and keeper of your mount at all times as your part of  (the team).

When it is wet, slick, ect. all bets and training are of no avail if control is not able to be maintained by you the (boss).

If you don't train to gain this advantage and enhance your mounts safety and fitness factor, you and your mount may experience most en-lighting lessons the hard and some times career ending events for you and your partner.

And finally _hit happens and can/will happen at anytime, good slow training, progressing to a faster stronger team will result in less injuries to both, most of the time.

You and your mount will hopefully know when you can if needed turn it on.

Hills and heat are the way's that I have trained after a year or so of easy, cool, some flat slow hill training, the ability to go fast is part of the go slow training, if the mount wants to run up hill's at the first or downhills.

 Make them walk it first during your training rides as this can be a sign that the muscles and other parts of the body are not able or developed Yet.

hope this helps, again as Joe and others have stated, in my humble opinion
Steven