Re: [RC] Training to 'top ten' - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok Joe,

 First Off, Joe is correct in that he hasn't had any injuries that did major damage.  Joe must have done something right all these years, or else it was the horse....I think it was the horse.

But, I don't condition that way.  I am one of those that saves my horses legs during conditioning rides.  I condition on dirt trails or turf.  No hardpacked if I can help it.  I understand the advantages to putting the horse into those types of trails, but I just hate the pounding....so I don't do it.   I also don't do what I call "speed" training.  We canter (although Aries' canter is for most horses a gallop)   some (probably 1/3 of the distance ridden), maybe a very brief gallop for about 250 yards (certainly not every ride), the rest is trotting...but very little walking unless it is down a steep hill.   We try to maintain a steady medium pace.  Medium being average of about 7 mph.   I am leary of fast work downhills in rides.  If I am going to trot down hills in rides, I get off and run.  I have had tendonitis with a horse from staying on the him and trotting down long, steep grades in rides.  But, never have when I get off and run.  You can make time on the down hills, but I would strongly advise dismounting.  Was pulled in a 100 miler at 80 miles  from that one time.  But just that one time, don't have to shock this worm but once.

True, I am sure that telling a newbie that they shouldn't condition as fast as they plan to ride the ride is a bad thing.  But, to a person that knows their horse and has a seasoned horse, you don't have to run their legs off of them.

Jody

PS.  I haven't had any career ending lameness either and I feel like my ponies do a respectable job.

Joe Long <jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

BTW, I've never had a career-ending lameness (or any career-ending
injury) with any horse that I've brought along in endurance.