[RC] Equine Herpes Outbreak in Fla - Don Huston

Angie,
Here is a post from naturalhorsetrim about the Equine Herpes Outbreak in Fla.
Based on this woman's experiences as a resident of Wellington, I would stay
as far away as possible and not expose my horses this terrible virus.
Don Huston

Its transmittable "thru the air" within 35 ft of another horse so if
the horse sneezed on the fenceline, and you touched it you don't have
be in the direct "aerosolized" area. Both vets of mine, both have had
horses in the quarantine, and both say its a virulent strain more so
than past. Take it for what it's worth.

And it's also why people are wearing suits and coveralls and gloves
between horses, and stables, disinfecting their feet and trucks. Why
FPL meter readers aren't coming onto the property. And why delivery
at most feed stores has stopped. Or will only deliver to your
property line. You're right...it's not a panic, it's important
precautions that everyone needs to be aware of.

Whether or not its speculative on transmission, Wellington is not
sure what to do with the manure is the latest issue. Burn it? Or
landfill? Both of which they are saying can contaminate in the here
and now, or landfill in the future. Because they don't know the
longevity in the soil/buckets/clothing etc... Disinfecting yourself
is paramount. This though I admit came from the newspapers. So not
sure of the "selectivity" they used in their sources. Could be the
vets are just ignorant.

I live in Wellington. My sources are my vets. Going to meetings. And
the newspapers and various internet magazines. Getting information from
the USDA is slow and not the most recent.

The horse in Payso Park had a fever on Monday, Friday he was dead (not
euthanized). To me that's dropping dead.

Florida has mandatory quarantines and state regulations in place to
monitor and "contain" it (vets words not mine)... Some states are
under no obligation to do so, California is one of them.

Yes, people are leaving in droves. I live right off the main drag out
of Wellington, I see big semi rigs leaving daily. And they are going
to points unknown. Hopefully not your barn.

Don Huston  <donhuston@xxxxxxx>