Re: [RC] Proud Flesh/wound treatment - Chelsea Marsh

Darlene,

About two years ago my mare had an injury similar to what you are
describing. However with her injury she WAS lame on it for awhile. She
developed a pretty good sized hunk of proud flesh. Our vet gave as
options some of the other methods described in other posts for getting
rid of it but felt that trimming the proud flesh would be the best thing
to do. It gets rid of the proud flesh much more quickly so that the
flesh around it can start healing and closing up. It was expected that
the proud flesh would grow back and we would have to trim it again but
for some reason it never grew back and the wound soon after closed up.
So you can see that I haven't had to deal with multiple trimmings that
you might have to deal with. Other than a scar my mare is doing great.
We haven't as yet done any Endurance rides but she has done a lot of
miles in trail riding.

I hope this might be of some help, good luck with your colt!

Chelsea