From: Darlene
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 3:53 PM
Subject: [RC] Proud Flesh/wound treatment

Happy New Year everyone!

Does anyone know what is the latest protocol with regards to preventing proud flesh?   I have a just turned one year old who cut his hind leg (ripped skin off from knee down to coronet band) and shaved a few slivers off of his flexor tendon.

He was never lame on it.   I have been keeping him stall bound, he is getting the bandage changed every day and it is still a nasty looking mess.   The vet comes weekly and last week we put an ointment on it to knock back the proud flesh that was just starting at the top of the wound.  It looks worse this week.  The ointment is very caustic and I really don't want to use it if I don't have too.   I have put nothing else on the wound.  Just rinse it with saline daily and re-wrap.

Tomorrow it will be one month.    He's been in a stall the entire time.   He has not got the wound wet or dirty,.
He IS NOT getting better.  It has filled in a bit but is still about 4" x 6" and deep (say 1/3 and the tendon is still visible)   Tomorrow my Vet comes again.  He wants to "trim" around the wound.  I have great reservations about this as he isn't infected and why make this huge wound  bigger?   I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Darlene/NW WA

PS   The vet  wants him stall bound, (not even hand walked)  but he can buck and rear and does all kinds of "airs above the ground in his stall"   He's going stir crazy that's for sure.