[RC] Only way to afford.. - Spottedracer

I agree 100%!! And I used to stand &show several quality stallions myself. As well as trained/showed several of their offspring (in order to 'prove' my studs as sires) . Don't own a single stallion now! Though we board a champion Morgan stud - but he is NOT being 'stood'.

When I got into rescue, retraining and rehabbing unwanted/neglected auction horses - I realized that there are far too many good horses that are unwanted! I just couldn't add to that problem anymore. Though all of my foals/broke mares/broke studs went to good permanent homes - they filled up a home that might've rescued one of these unwanted horses.

Now, 5-out-of-6 of the horses I own, ride, use for lessons, compete with... are former rescues. I actually feel MORE satisfaction when I look out over the pasture now - than I did seeing a field full of my foals! I no longer have to worry about the future for the horses in my field.

And, I've had the pleasure of reading some very touching biographies about some AERC hall-of-fame horses - who were also rescued from auction houses.

- LP