[RC] blind trail horses - Dawn Simas

Marcia, horses blind in one eye have done Tevis.  At least one, probably more.

Patty, it sounds like your friend is learning from her mare how to cue her and doing well.  :)  It is all about trust obviously and the blindness can sometimes be an advantage to attaining that from a willing horse.

I rescued a stone blind two year old Friesian who lost his sight when he had a stroke during his routine gelding.  He wasn't broke and overwhelmed everyone that tried to work with him because of his size and he'd rear and balk when they even tried to hand walk him.  I took him in and after a steady routine (which horses love anyway), we bonded and he would walk through fire if I asked him.

I qualified him for Search And Rescue.  I rode him on the American River Ride trail along Folsom, which locals know is technical for sighted horses.  He knew through rein and vocal cues the grade of a slope so that he wouldn't stumble on his toes and how to step up or down off verticals (horsetrailers, roots in trail, creeks).  And the best part is he's solid and *never* spooks.  People can't believe he's blind, but many vets have confirmed it.

His forte is dressage though.  He has a natural ability for balance and focus and sensitivity to subtle cues.  He is being leased by an excellent rider in LA and I think he could go Grand Prix.  You can see his story on our website at:

www.wildaboutcats.org/mojo.htm  and click on the updates for his progress.  Lots of pictures.

BTW:  I got some advice in the begining from Pat Chapell, Nicole Wiere's mother.  Pat had a stallion that went blind and she did the American River 50 on him.  :)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue