[RC] trail riding the blind horse - Marcia Nelson

I have a one eyed horse that has become an amazing trail horse. He also jumps quite well. He was on a trailer to the killers when my farrier noticed him and bought him on the spot and vowed to find him a good home. I ended up as that good home. Sweet as all get out, but he'd buck his rider off very efficiently if asked to trot or canter. Hmmm, must be an explanation. I found out he couldn't handle depth perception and would fall over on his side at a canter even without a rider. So I went to work to get him to work as a team and trust his rider. Lots of in hand work, lots of ponying and lots of obstacles. He and I won the 2005 NATRC Region 2 Novice Championship in Horse and Horsemanship. We were the high point team as well. He went on to earn a second place with one of my junior students for the 2006 year. He has a dream temperament and that is what it takes to live with a handicap of this magnitude. He doesn't ask questions, he just moves over with the lightest request of the rider's leg and he responds to words and encouragement. We have traversed a lot of difficult things on the trails including major drop offs on his blind side. There has to be a great bond to make something like this work. He had to get used to shadows and depth perception in a variety of settings. I had my hopes set on Tevis and decided that was too much to ask of him, so I am working with another horse towards that goal. There are limits to what I would ask of him. I wouldn't want to get him or me in trouble and so I am careful. Good luck!
Marcia Nelson