[RC] [RC] Horses & bikes on the trail... what to do??? - sherman

Most of the trails that I ride are single track and usually requires one of the parties passing to stop & pull off or over as far as possible, whether they’re going the same or opposite directions, and even then I sometimes worry about my foot getting hooked onto the biker’s camelback, or their handlebars hooking my reins. I think the recommendations are good ones. If trail users were more considerate/less selfish, more knowledgeable about horse behavior, then we wouldn’t need everything spelled out. However, “way back when” most people were probably much more familiar with horses, being that they were commonly used. That is no longer the case, so people have to be educated on what to do. I had someone actually lay down next to the trail when I was passing on my horse, then, you have the ones who hide behid the bush thinking maybe the horse won’t see them, and pop up with their backpack on & their dog jumping around just as the horse passes. Yes, I think helping trail users learn how they should behave around horses is a good thing.

Kathy