From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Laney Humphrey
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:44 PM
To: Kristi Schaaf
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] So, what supplements to give a distance horse...

Susan Garlinghouse have a talk at the AERC convention a few
years ago in which she said to lay off supplements; that more
is not better, especially if the basics are high quality.
I've also come to believe that most of us aren't "racing,"
we're "riding."  The only ones who are racing are the FEI
riders, also consistent top tenners and 100 milers.  I'd also
add people who haul their horses many miles.  Those folks do
need to think about supplements.  But the rest of us really
don't.  At least until we notice a problem.  In other words,
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  You used the first kid
analogy.  Well, with our own kids, would be think, if one
vitamin pill is good, two would be better.  I think almost
everyone knows there's an upper limit of safety for vitamins
and minerals for people.  Well, there is for horses too.  If
you read the ingredients labels of most supplements, they all
contain the same stuff.  So by adding one on top of another,
you may well exceed the safe limit.  I'm no expert, but what
you're feeding now seems just fine to me.  If it were me, I'd
stick with that until something convinced me I needed to add
something.  Then I'd try to add just what's needed, not more
than necessary of whatever that is, and certainly not more of
other stuff that isn't needed.
Laney

Kristi Schaaf wrote:
Hi all -

Sorry to butt in on the dance discussion, but I've got a 'serious'
question for you...he he he.

I've sadly been away from distance riding for a few years,
but happily
have high hopes of starting up again in 2007. Back when I
did compete
(NATRC and LD) I was putting a lot of money's worth of
supplements in
my horse (he was like a first child, and you know how those first
borns are pampered and protected). Well, now that I've got a second
'child' to feed/supplement also, I've mellowed a bit about
the whole
supplement thing....

Then yesterday, the KV catalog was laying on the counter
while I was
eating supper, so I started browsing. BIG mistake!!! All those
feelings of "OH, he needs this and this and this!" came
flooding back.
So, help me you guys! I know there's a ton of info in the archives
about who feeds what supplement and why, but for those of
you who take
a completely logical approach to supplementation for a
distance horse
(you may or may not know if you qualify as logical, so give
it a shot
and let us be the judge), share what you supplement every
day, during
rides, and after rides.
It seems in the past someone was chatting about after-ride
supplementation for faster healing, and I'd really be interested in
that.

My horses currently get grass hay, free choice red and
white salt, a
basic Dynamite supplement given daily in their small handful of
oats/beetpulp/BOSS, probiotics when needed, electrolytes
before/during
hot/humid/long rides, and that's it.

Kristi