Re: [RC] Compression brakes - Mary Ann Spencer

Someone on here recommended I get on so I did.  The Dodge guys will put one on your NEW truck and it is covered by the warrantee.  I have heard that others make you wait until the warrantee is over or it voids the warrantee as an after market add on.  Mine is NOT noisey.

Aren't the air brakes the ones that make so much noise?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 5:43 PM
Subject: [RC] Compression brakes

As I understand, there are two types of compression brakes. One works on the engine (Jake Brake) and it’s noisy. The other works on the exhaust system (exhaust brake) and it’s not noisy at all.

I have the exhaust brake on my 1-ton Chevy dually for about a year now and it’s fantastic. It does knock down my MPG a bit, but when coming off a long, steep grade (we have lots of those in Montana), it’s a true blessing and I feel much safer hauling my trailer around the country now. It was pricey, but worth it. In my opinion, pickup truck brakes just aren’t built to handle the loads we put on them when hauling LQ and longer gooseneck horse trailers.

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for horse and rider”
Official Sponsor: AERC (American Endurance Ride Conference)
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx