RE: [RC] Casslicks - heidi

Yep, a pretty clear indication for surgery.  But also a good illustration of the fact that things were normal prior to her tearing episode at foaling, and that it was the trauma that caused the need--not simply her being a mare.

Heidi

My mare just had Casslicks done this fall.  She had a foal in May 2005, and tore some during the birth.  She did "wind suck", and it is a most unpleasant sound.  I have lived with remarks by fellow riders, such as "What is that noise pray tell?", (poetic license adjusted phrase) as their faces contorted into a memorable conformation.  Undaunted, I have answered politely that she had done that since foaling, please pardon.

However, I noticed a change in her during her last heat cycle which included occasionally plopping out a copious clear discharge, and squatting even more often.  I feared perhaps urinary or vaginal infection.   Took her and a urine sample to the vet to get it checked out.  She recommended the Casslicks to me.  She explained that the air sucking irritated the tissues, and made them more prone to infection as well as the obvious larger opening for that which don't belong there.  It turned out she had a vaginal infection, and was put on a round of antibiotics.

She did ask if I intended to breed her again, which I don't.  She said she makes the closure a bit different in that case.

So, that's my one person, one mare story FWIW.

Beth Bliss

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=