Re: [RC] Bees get a bad rap?? - Barbara McCrary

I had another unpleasant experience at an after-ride steak BBQ.  I put a bite of steak into my mouth and immediately felt a sharp pain.  A YJ was still attached to the steak.  It hurt, and my tongue swelled and became numb, but it did not block my breathing as a couple of worried riders sitting next to me thought might happen.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Bees get a bad rap??

 Once they get a taste... you are marked for life. It is like they smell dinner coming down the trail. We always called them "meat bees" cause that is what you are if they get ya.

Elaine
"Bees get a bad rap.  Very few of the crimes charged to them
are true."-----------Well, I can tell you and my horses could tell you, if they could talk,  that from personal experience these particular ground hornets deserve their bad reputation.  We've been nailed so many times I'm surprised the horses don't go nuts going by there.  We've tried the pass quietly as far away as we can approach, and the run as fast as we can approach and the bees have won every single time.  I thought maybe only the queen survives the winter and we might be able to pour dirt down in the hole and fill it up.  Linda