[RC] Caslick's Procedure - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I didn't think that I really needed to think any more
about this.  However, after Kathie Ford's post I
became very curious and figured I should know given
I'll have a filly go Delaware in the spring.  So, here
is the official definition of Caslick's Procedure
according to the AHP Style Guide for Equine
Publications:

"Caslick's Procedure known as Caslick's repair,
developed by E.A. Caslick, D.V.M., in the late 1920s
and commonly used in broodmares.  Veterinarian suures
the top part of a mare's vulvar lips together to
prevent fecal matter from being sucked into the
vulva."

So, it would seem the gentleman that I spoke with, in
the Club House, at Delaware Park, was not as informed
as I would have thought. Especially given the number
of race horses he owns.  LOL!  I have not researched
the track rules at Delaware and will now that I have
an official definition.  If it is a procedure that is
common and not mandatory.  It would then be up to the
professional, albeit, the race trainer, to decide on
whether or not my filly will have that procedure or
not.

Now, I don't have any idea, and perhaps the vets on
the list can be helpful with this, why would this
procedure be performed on an endurance horse?  How
often do they travel at 35 mph for 5/8 of a mile that
would lend them to sucking wind and fecal material?

I hope this information helps everyone.  :)

D'Arcy

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
 liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx

Want to start your own business?