[RC] [RC] Pony death, question for vets or others who've experienced same - sherman

No, no necropsy will be done. Vet felt sure it wasn’t rabies, although they did consider it 3 years ago, but it wasn’t, as she survived. I wonder if oleander could be the cause all her symptoms.

Kathy

Did you ask the vet to come out and do a necropsy?  If it "could" be rabies, they have to send the head in. But if it is suspected, I'd sure want to know, since y'all were handling the pony etc. Not to mention exposure to other animals on the property. I'd also consider a poison. When I lost a horse to Oleander (one bite) he went off his feed, would stand and play and lip at his water, acted like a mild colic, then the neighbor saw him just fall over dead.

So sorry you had to go through something like this. Can imagine how difficult it was watching the pony, and not able to help.

Jonni