[RC] fence question - what do horses see best? - Kristi Schaaf

Ed wrote:
It is a tape that is much more sturdy than the usual
products. It comes in either Green or Brown which are
much less visible to humans, but horses seem to see
fine. They claim, and I can attest from experience,
that horses are less likely to try to run through even
when paniced. I think their primitive minds see thin
stuff as a twig they can break.
_________________________

It's interesting how there's such a variety of
hypotheses out there on what horses see best. From
what I've read and experienced, I believe that horses
might see even thin stripes of white or black much
better than they can see any width of greens or
browns. I wonder if possibly the width of the brown or
green tape creates a line pattern that sticks out from
the background, and they see that more than they see
the color. I researched fence colors back when
deciding on a fence type and read a study in one of
the major horse journals, can't remember which one
(maybe Equus)..it said horses can see white, black,
yellow and blue the best. But who knows exactly what
they do see clearest, though I do know my horse
prefers his blue jolly ball to his red one! And my
horses will notice the tiniest sliver of white paper
or black plastic in the woods, but they don't seem to
even see 'nature colored' garbage.

Kristi (whose horses never challenged the white
Electrobraid rope, even at a flat-out dead run at it
while being chased by a killer deer)..he he he.

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)