Re: [RC] IRAP: does it HEAL? or not? - Dream Weaver

Hi Barbara: The reason the IRAP was so appealing to me is because it actually causes the damage to be repaired.  I had a couple of links about IRAP in my blog post -- did you see those?  If not, try this link.  The best thing to do is see what the vets think about your horses case and if they think it'll work with a high probability of a positive outcome, give it a try.  There are no guarantees - my vet thought that Rocky would have an 80% chance of success.  And, like I reported they have seen really fantastic results with horses that have had far more severe problems than my horse had -- and those horses are competing again.  I want to have Rocky live a comfortable life drug and pain free.  Good luck.  Vets can do amazing things these days!  Karen    P.S.  I'm sending this to RC, as I've been getting a lot of emails asking this question

here is an excerpt from the article on IRAP:
Future of gene therapy

Gene therapy represents the newest innovation in the treatment and prevention of joint disease. But although it is a modern technology, gene therapy actually allows the body to do what it has best done all along. In 2002, James Richardson, M.D., a board-certified surgeon and professor of orthopedics at Keele University in England, wrote in the International Cartilage Research Society Newsletter:

"There is a great cleverness in each cell and learning to work with them, and to trust them to do the right thing in the right place is not new to surgery. We have always depended on the natural biology of tissue healing."

IRAP is the most recent approach to helping the body heal itself, and even newer types of gene therapies and products on the research horizon will continue this trend.