[RC] Campers & Generators and all that stuff . . . - Peggy B-Smith

I, like Jonni, have the same setup. I have camped as long as 7 days - Bryce, Death Valley, and other multidays and have never had battery problems - and I don't have a generator. I don't like to run my heat at night. I run it in the morning when getting dressed and that's all.

I think the most important part of using batteries is making sure they are fully charged before you leave for your trip. 2-3 days before leaving, we plug our camper in and make sure both batteries are charged - and have never had a problem. I am careful about lights and use my fluorescents most of the time. I use my microwave for bread storage!
The only "entertainment" I have in my camper is the radio, if I'm someplace where I actually have reception!
Years ago, my husband and I camped with an off-road group. We were all good friends, no one had a fancy motorhome. We had tents, slept in the bed of our trucks. After a while, people got travel trailers - nothing fancy. We all sat out at night by the fire and talked and laughed and had a great time. Then, everyone started getting motorhomes - then TVs with VCRs, then satellite TVs.  Pretty soon, no one sat out by the fire - they were all in watching TV!  Some of their motorhomes have 2 TVs!  This was the beginning of the end for this group. Now only a few still go and sit in their rolling motel rooms and watch the tube.

I'd hate to see this happen in the ridecamps. It is so much fun to pull up and meet new people, put your camp chair out and have a drink and talk to your neighbor. We have met so many great folks this way. When you have a small camper like us, you have to hang outside unless the weather is terrible!

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA

"Our cabover camper came with a factory installed
"Hydro Flame Furnace" =
that has a Room thermostat on it. We have had
this camper for almost 12 =
years, and have maybe had camp sites that we
could actually plug in to =
electricity a dozen times. We do not own a
generator, and the camper has =
just one RV battery in it. We can camp for 4 days
using the lights, =
heater on thermostat every night, and never have
to run the truck to =
charge the battery back up. Wonder why everyone
else has such issues =
with their battery running down over night with a
heater.  Our =
refrigerator is a 3 way, and we run it on propane
when camping unless we =
have electric hook ups."