RE: [RC] [RC] Wrist GPS - Jim Holland

Hmmm..that's not true..the Forerunner 101 has exactly the same PC interface
as the 201.  In fact, uses the same cable. (I own a 101)
http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10484%2D00

The ONLY difference in the specs between the two units is that the 101 uses
AA cells and the 201 has a rechargeable battery.  I prefer the 101 AA
battery unit.  I use rechargeable NICAD batteries.  It is a whole lot easier
to carry spare charged AA batteries (smaller) than a charger and I don't
have worry about my battery dying out there in the woods with no way to
charge it.

The reception, unless someone can show me something that states otherwise,
is the same on all the units.  They all track the same number of birds (12)
and all three are WAIS enabled. (And use the same patch antenna)

According to the specs online, the 301 is identical to the 201 (rechargeable
battery) except for the monitoring stuff. There may be some minor things,
(number of waypoints stored, etc.) but not enough for me to spend $300+.
(Unless you just want the heart monitor stuff) I have used both the 101 and
201, but not the 301.

Keep in mind that if you don't have a serial port on your computer (the
newer ones don't) then you will have to buy a USB-to-Serial port converter
cable
http://www.shoppingwarehouse.net/prod-59190.html?src=froogle&src1=sw&src2=gb
ase

for any of these units. (Or a serial port card for your PC) National
Geographic TOPO! State Series 4.0 supports the Forerunner units.  Earlier
versions of TOPO! do not.

All that said, you can buy a Forerunner 101 for less than $100...they are
$87.00 here:

http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2

You can buy one of these and a separate really nice horse heart monitor for
a lot less than $300.  Personally, having two units is easier and provides
more flexibility.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm