RE: [RC] Louise Riedel - heidi

I have a very clear memory of Louise at my first AERC
ride in 1999, I think it was. She was manning the
registration table when I wandered up, obviously a
newbie and clueless to how it all worked in AERC. She
looked down at my registration and saw that I was
signed up for the LD and she told me that she'd rather
see me ride the 50 so I would learn to properly pace
my horse. I told her that I had almost 1,000 NATRC
miles so I'd had a little bit of practice with pacing.
She smiled and told me that I'd be just fine because
I'd had some good training. When some LD riders I met
up with on the trail actually made fun of me for being
an NATRC'r, Louise's words popped into my mind and
overrode their rudeness. Years later at another ride,
I watched her trot her horse out at a vet check. She
was no longer as athletic as most of the other riders,
but she glowed with a passion for the sport and I made
a wish right then and there to be blessed with the
ability to still ride a horse when I reach her age. I
don't know if she realized that she made such a strong
impression on a new rider, but I bet there are many
more out there like me who were touched by her without
really knowing her. Kristi

Kristi, having known Louise, I'll bet she's proud as punch to be
remembered in the way that you remember her.  I can't think of a more
fitting tribute to a Grand Lady of the sport.

Heidi