Re: [RC] Roads to Durango - Sisu West Ranch

"...On Red Mtn pass, there are some areas with no guard rails ..."

The only time I have gone over Red Mountain Pass was in July of 1980.  I had two boys, Grandmother, and Mary Jo in a Blazer pulling a tent trailer.  Both Grandmother, and Mary Jo were very acrophobic.  Part way up the Blazer vapor locked (a typical problem for Chev trucks of the era.) and we stalled.  I had to back the trailer about 1/4 mile down the mountain and around a curve to a wide spot.  I knew that I could not hold it if I used up the reserve vacuum in the brake booster, so I just went slowly and made it.  At the spot, there was a bronze plaque "To the five brave snowplow drivers killed on the pass".

Neither Grandmother or Mary Jo ever knew how close we came to going over one of those dropoffs.

Bottom line:  I don't recommend going over that pass with a horse trailer.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875