Re: [RC] Creating and managing a new ride? - Carolyn Burgess

Sharon:

Two places to go to.  AERC has a ride managers guide book (my husband downloaded it for me).  ECTRA also has their rule book, which also gives guidance to ride managers.  I am running two CTR's this year and a CTR clinic (my first try at this).  The first thing to do is to map out on paper what you want to do.  Then get lots of trusted volunteers that you can delegate tasks to.  But you need to know exactly what and how you want to do something (like the trail, distances for loops, holds, etc.) but then get a trail master (I chose my husband who understands the process) and delegate the actual divising of the loops to them.  He will be responsible for configuring the trail (direction, distance), marking the trail (ribbons, pie plates), and getting it marked (I give him the voluteers, he manages them).  I have two friends doing the food for the rides.  I tell them the meals, what I am thinking of for food, they go buy the food, cook and manage the meals for me.

Also, feel free to impose yourself on current ride managers, as I have done.  I am lucky that I have several friends who are good ride managers, who have been great at motivating me through this process, checking on me to see about getting my sanctioning in place, and to help answer questions when needed.

I also picked a state that doesn't have alot of rides, and picked times of year that need a void filled in the area, so the response I am getting from riders is just incredible.  You have lots of very qualified ride managers in the central Maine area (Fryeburg/Bethel), so I would impose myself on them.  The rides for endurance are: Pine Tree, NorthEast Challenge, Streaked Mountain. For CTR, there is Scribners Mills, Crooked River, Maine 80, Hidden Brook, The Boo rides, Acadia, and I know I am missing more of them.

Go and volunteer at rides, but ask if you can be the ride managers assistant.  Tell them what your goal is.  I know most of these people and they will be thrilled to have another ride.  Also, check with Heather Bonneau.  She is trying to plan a ride for northern Maine for 2007.

I started with CTR's.  It is a smaller group of horses, riders, vets, and volunteers to manage.  I did this with the plan of learning to manage a ride on a smaller scale with the goal of running and endurance ride some day.  My role models are Helen and John Stacy with the former Doncaster Festival.  If I could runs something like that and only do half as well as they did, I would be thrilled.

Carolyn Burgess

Sharon Levasseur <sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

With only one exception, Maine Endurance/CTR rides are held in southern Maine,
over 4 hours from where I live. I board Zephyr at a farm in central Maine
where there is easy access to an almost unlimited network of really nice woods
trails and abandoned dirt roads. It is my dream to someday create and manage
an endurance ride there. The barn owners have some limited experience with the
sport and have agreed that it is a possibility.

What is involved in the planning process? I'm a little overwhelmed and would
like a basic checklist. Is there a document somewhere on the Internet that
discusses it?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon L. & Zephyr
www.ZEGifts.com