Re: [RC] Ride names - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Here's a few of the SE rides I know about, don't really know about the FLA
rides.

Longstreet's Charge is named after an event in the battle of Chickamauga. The
ride is held about 10 miles from the Chickamauga Battlefield, and the
Confederate soldiers marched right by our camp on the way to the battle. During
the battle of Chickamauga the South wasn't doing too great till General
Longstreet arrived by train into LaFayette, GA (near our ride). They got off
the train, made it for the 2nd day of fighting, and the charge led by General
Longstreet turned the battle. The South "won" if winning means that though you
lost thousands, they lost a few thousand more.

My biggest surprise on ride names was the "Chicken Chase". Never guessed it was
named that because it's held in Colonol Sander's home town. :-)

Million Pines is named after the Million Pines plantation...the first place
where pine trees were planted as a crop to make newsprint.

City Slickers is literally held in downtown Memphis. The start is by a 4 lane
hwy and the vet check is in Walmart's back yard.

"Trace Tribute" is held on the Natchez Trace.

Hallelujah is managed by Lucy Hancock...who is very religious.

Boy Scout Pow Wow is held as a benefit for the Boy Scouts in that area.

The old Swamp Fox in South Carolina was named after the nick name of the
revolutionary war hero Francis Marion who was known as the Swamp Fox.

War Eagle was held near Auburn University.

Pyramid Challenge is part of the Egyptian event horse show.

Summer Breeze is a joke, or an optomist...it's hotter than Hades.

Witchdance is named after a natural phenomenon in the forest near there.
There's a bare circle where nothing grows and people thought it was because
witches danced there. (there are official forest service markers at the spot)

Mountin' Hopes is a benefit for a handicapped riding program.

Most of the others I've been to in the SE are just named after where they're
held.

Angie