[RC] The Future - Tom Sites

Its out and in the OD Newletter....."The Future:   Tom Sites is heading a search team for the Old Dominion trail of the future, looking for a new and even better trail and facilities for when growth and traffic make the Front Royal and Fort Valley areas less desirable for endurance."....   so i feel free to discuss the subject of a new trail system we are exploring.

To me,  the Trail is the most important part of a ride and w/out that, the adventure is gone.  The OD asked me to Chair the Alternative Trail Committee.  There are several areas that are under consideration and any other areas that someone would like to put together in a packet (consisting of photos, trail topo, facilities and access and minimum land owners ) would be considered.  This is an open Committee and communicaton on all levels would be appreciated.

The location we are working on with the National Forest Service and have their approval of a horse containment area with a 1 mile field is called Slate Lick Fields, alongside a native trout stream.  It is located 17 miles west of Broadway, Va. and is 18 miles from West Virginia and a relatively short distance to Harrisonburg. A Project Proposal is underway to the NFS.

The trail has rock but is not rocky.  It has plenty of overhang for shade.  There is adequate water on trail.  The cimbs are gradual and everyone that has ridden our first 12 mile loop have enjoyed the day.

The Goal:

To have a Trail System that is horse and rider friendly.

To have 1 landowner, the NFS, and hopefully therefore, a permanent trail.

To encompass Virginia, which at one time included West Virginia, and last forever.

Jerry Fruth, aka St. Jerry for his involvement to Trail,  happened to be coming by from a trip to Capitol Hill and speaking on behalf of AERC Trails, accompanied me to the first NFS Meeting.  Because it was a snowstorm brewing, Jerry left early on his way thru WVa. to In. The NFS person said to Jerry as he left...."I feel very good about this...."  So do i, and at some time soon, there will be riding of brand new trail, and  new stories to tell. Because i am an OD lifetime member, i see this as the most important mission i could be entrusted too.

ts