[RC] Tipping Etiquette - appleg8

If you really want to get to the nitty gritty of Tipping, you first have to remember that tipping is not for the owners of a business or self employed as it were.

As a former waitress in my youth, and a 22 year hairstylist, I can tell you the tipping should be given to the employees not the owners.

To "TIP" your farrier is redundant. To tip a hairstylist these days is also in the most cases if you ask your stylist if she is an "Independant Contractor" of the salon he/she works in is also not proper or necessary.

Tipping has gotten so out of hand it is ridiculous in my opinion.

I don't think that we should have to feel that we need to give out gifts just to free some social conscience. It should be from the heart for those people that are special and have great meaning. The list that D'Arcy provided makes my head swim! Good grief, if you employ all those people you have provided them with a job all year, then you feel you must also reward them further? If that is your bag....good on you, but why do people feel they HAVE to do this sort of thing? Stick with the ones in your life that give you pleasure and you truly want to give a gift of love.

I have given my farrier and my Vet a burned CD of music that they have truly enjoyed while they are driving all over the country. I asked what type of music they listen to and then made them a CD. This was something that was totally cost effective and something both of them really liked and used. Same thing for my Hairstylist. You can download music from your computer or with all the new gadgets now all sorts of ways.

My farrier makes a lot more money than I do that is for sure, so I don't feel that "tipping" him is anything special. Save your tipping for the waitress that doesn't even get paid minimum wage as the employee can pay less because the "tips" are allowed to make up their wages. That sure ain't right.
amber
g8nfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com