[RC] Paddock Paradise - Kristi Schaaf

I only have approx 4 acres available to my horses, and
I'm always trying to figure out ways for them to get
the most use out of the land, since self-conditioning
is always a good thing for a distance horse! But since
I live in Iowa, the small pastures I have are always
very lush (even though we mow them) and I can't leave
the horses out for more than a few hours without the
risk of the sensitive one of the bunch getting gas
colic (if you read www.safergrass.org, you'll be leary
of lush pastures too). So they spend 95% of their time
in a 2/3 acre dry lot, which they do tear around in
quite comfortably, but they also stand in one spot a
lot too. Anyway, I finally got my hands on Jaime
Jackson's book "Paddock Paradise" and I had a great
epiphany while reading it. THIS is what my brain had
been searching for as an answer to give my horses the
most use out of my land. In a nutshell, you create
fenced 'paths' around the perimeter of your property
or pastures, of whatever you can work out with your
land layout, and it allows your horses to move along
them at will, much like wild horses who follow their
designated paths (contrary to popular belief, wild
horses don't just wander around; they have specific
destinations and 'paths' to them). Apparently domestic
horses still have that 'urge' and will happily make
circuits of whatever paths you are able to create. I
was quite relieved when hubby agreed that it would be
a great idea to build some of these paths so we're
going to start soon (depending on how much ground
frost we gotta deal with). Anyway, has anyone reading
this post read the book and built a "Paddock
Paradise"? If so, please share any
ideas/problems/solutions that you encountered. I'm
quite excited about the thought of my boys moving
almost continually around their 'paths' instead of
just vegging out in the paddock for hours on end. And
I salivate just thinking about the self-conditioning
this might create!
Kristi

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

http://new.mail.yahoo.com