Re: [RC] Changes to Int'l - Truman Prevatt

Seems that this would work just fine if it weren't for team competition. That is when the first 10 horses finished - the top 10 have been selected so there is not need for the others to keep going.

This would go a long way to shorten the time required for the competition since the first 10 will probably finish in less than say 10 hours. This might make it more spectator friendly. If a new scoring method for teams were developed - or team competition eliminated I can see some merits to it. For example each riders receives some number or points based on the time he gets to each check. These points are added up for all horses for a country that are still in the race when it is deemed finished. The team with the most points wins. Clearly in such a system - a premium would have to be given for any horse that did finish. It might make planning team strategy a little more difficult, however, computers are good at keeping track of such things so it should not be too bad.

Truman

kimfuess wrote:
Steph,
I am curious how the entire field can be considered if the ride is stopped and horses are not allowed to finish the entire course. It seems strange to me to even consider this as many times placement can change drastically in the last part of a ride or from the last vet check. I think this is even more true in the 100 mile distance than the shorter distances. I also think it is a misnomer that horses that finish later are slow because they are more tired. They may be finishing later because the riders are pacing different than the front runners. The horses may be in fine shape but just averaging a slower pace. I guess that if this type of system is tried it will become more of an event of "how many miles can a horse complete in x number of hours instead of seeing how many horses can complete 100 miles in a given time".

It really would seem strange to me to end the ride and then give horses (teams) that did not complete the entire course some type of completion.

Kim Fuess

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.