Re: [RC] [RC] Horse size....what gives?!?! - Dawn Carrie

Give me the small, compact, powerhouse style Arab anyday!!!  If I were in the market for another horse, I'd be looking for one like your friend is selling.  I happen to think that 14.1 - 14.3h is perfect.  I have one now, straight CMK, who is just a smidge over 14.2h, and he's the perfect height.  He has a very compact build, very deep body/heart girth, big motor, and is an absolute powerhouse.  He was a bit under 14.0h when I got him at 3 yrs old...he just turned 6 in September and did his first 50 over Thanksgiving.  Hopefully he won't grow any more.  My other gelding is 7 1/2, and mostly Egyptian...he was 14.3 1/2 when I got him at nearly 6, and grew 2 full inches in the next 10 months, much to my disgust.  He has good bone and nice sized feet, but not the deep, full body and nice long deep hip of my CMK gelding.  But he's doing well, has 670 miles, including one 100 to date.

I'm not sure why people feel like they "need" taller horses.  Whether it's some misguided idea that taller horses have longer/faster trots, or what.  My shorter gelding is still working on developing his extended trot, but I can already tell that he'll be able to out-trot my taller gelding once he gets it...he can pretty much keep up with him now.  My husband's 14.2h (barely) Paso Fino can trot like the wind, and keep up with most any Arab out there (and my 6' hubby feels just fine on him).  And my friend has a 14.1 mare (1/2 Arab, 1/2 QH) who has developed one heck of a trot...that little mare can fly.

Like someone else said...let the majority keep buying those tall horses, and leave the short ones for the rest of us!  <G>

Dawn Carrie