Re: [RC] [RC] Horse size....what gives?!?! - Chris Paus

Yes, horses continue to grow. My mare gained a full inch in height between ages 5 and 6. she's now exactly 15H. I hope she stops there! She's just right.

i ride horses of all sizes, from 14.1H to 15.1H. All Arabs. What people prefer is such an individual thing. And very often people who start out in this sport think they need a big horse but as they gain experience and have to tack and untack, mount and dismount several times during a ride, the value of a shorter horse becomes more evident!

And I think as we get older and aren't as agile our preferences change. I remember back in my  younger days also wanting BIG horses. Now, short is good, LOL.

My pet peeve is people who assume a short breeding horse is going to produce short babies. But I have done the same thing. I decided against a stallion because he was too small. Now I have a small stallion and prospective mare owners are doing the same to me, LOL.

But my short stallion, 14.1H and his best paramour, a 13.3 mare, consistently have HUGE babies together! One that is 18 months old now, already is bigger than poppa. his knee to coronet band measurement is 16"... he's gonna be a moose! And he's a purebred Arab from two small parents. His kid brother was born this year and also is going to be really big. He was so big when he was born, he had to really contort his neck to reach under his momma to nurse!

But because my two produce foals with height doesn't mean that every mare Szyb breeds will have a big baby. Two horses contribute genes.

Like Angie said, I can't scold people into choosing my guy, LOL.

"Whisper words of wisdom, let it be." The Beatles

Chris

-----