Re: [RC] any one out there near Oak Ridge , TN? - Eric Rueter

Riding near (within two hour drive) OR would include:
 Haw Ridge small multi-use (city/county/state?) park less than five mile from "downtown" Oak Ridge.  Guessing 20 miles of equestrian trail 90% single track,

Norris Water Shed, about 15 miles from OR, City of Norris, TVA, State, Multiuse mostly old jeep trails, about thirty miles of unique trails, lots of ups and downs, one of my wife's favorite places to train, partly because the footing is usually good even after a big rain

Lone Mountain, maybe thirty miles from OR, Forest Service, big climb at beginning of trail, thirty miles of trail, limited parking, great place to train

Bakers Creek, about thirty miles from OR, TWRA, about as flat as we get here in EastTN.  Trails are not maintained, mostly small loops off of service road, local Fox Hunt has "jumps" set up into and out of pastures and meadows if that's something of interest.

Great Smokey Mtns.  Maybe hours drive to "Townsend" side of Park, two or three trails open to equestrians, (Rich Mtn, Spence Field, Abrams Creek)...Drive up the interstate a little further and there are more trails in the Pisquah National Forest/Northern end of the Smokies - been a long time since we rode these trails..

There are trails in the Cherokee National Forest around Etowah, TN (maybe an hours drive from OR.  Contact Roger Rittenhouse about these, he lived down there until just recently.

Then there is the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area (Home of the Big South Fork Endurance Ride :-).  There are 300+ miles of usable (not maintained) equine trails.  Trails are a good mix between single track and old logging roads.  Plenty of water.  Good trailheads.  NationalParkService

Employment in OR is fairly good, as everything is based on Gov't contracts.  Low crime rates, good schools, still "small town" atmosphere.  Somewhat isolated (no direct interstate access).

Have no clue about land prices.  I imagine that most of the "usable" farm land is already sub-divided (OR lies between two steep ridges so flat is just not there).  Land where I live (thirty minutes from OR) is around $13000 and acre.  The further you get from Knoxville and OR the land will get cheaper, just remember that a lot of the land around here is not really suitable for keeping livestock (too steep and full of trees)

Bad?  Can't think of a thing, unless it's the weather, but then all I have to do is wait thirty min and it changes..

thanx eric
Eric Rueter
Rueter Consulting, Inc.
Eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx