[RC] Excitement affecting horse's heart rate - sherman

Yep, it sure can. My horse, Storm, got pulled this spring at a ride because one of his buddies was constantly neighing for him at the vet check. His other buddy was with him and I didn’t hear his neighing buddy so I didn’t realize what was going on. He kept going up over 60, then he’d come down, go up, go down. We finally figured it out after pulling & going back to the trailer and was told Charly had been neighing the whole time we were gone. Yep, Storm’s heart rate was in the 50s about a minute later.

Kathy

Excitement CAN affect the heart rate.  I've heard riders say not to let the

horse eat until he has passed the VC, because the act of eating can raise

the heart rate.  I know excitement can...such as taking away a buddy horse.

Barbara