Re: [RC] Excitement affecting horse's heart rate - Truman Prevatt

A horse removes heat by pumping blood to the skin where evaporation of sweat cools the blood. The use of sponging is not a trick. It helps the horse cool faster by removing more heat than would be moved by evaporation only - especially in humid conditions.

Truman

Chelsea Marsh wrote:
I was reading about Vet checks and I've been told what people refer to
as "tricks" to getting their horses pulse down. For example sponging
them, not letting them stick their head up in their air, make sure they
don't see their buddy walking off, etc. Doesn't your horses heart rate
come down because he's in shape? Are these things necessary? I know that
whether your horse is comfortable will effect his heart rate, hence why
you might sponge him off or dump water on him. My question is whether
(assuming your horse is in shape and can handle the pace you've set)
outside sources (that might excite your horse) are going to effect you
horse enough that he won't pulse down to the required rate despite the
horses ability to handle the ride.

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.